Saturday, July 12, 2014

May I Have a Few Moments...

... of your time to just talk to you - even ramble a little bit.  I don't want to be "preachy" or come across as "one of the Chaplains".  I would just like to bend your ear for a bit.

I went fishing - alone - here today.  It was sunny and bright with a slight breeze blowing.  I don't come here too often - it would ruin the effect if I did.  The tally at the end of my afternoon was: trees and underwater rocks - 2;  me - 2 small small-mouth bass.  Yet so much more than just 2 little fish.  I come here when I need a few minutes of time to clean the dusty, confused blackboard that my mind becomes.

Allow me to lament a bit, if I may.  In the past month to 6 weeks we have made a dedicated effort to render our property liveable.  It lies 80 miles to our north and the last mile or so is by dirt road.  We're getting ready to position a 32' travel trailer there on concrete pillars which my son-in-law and I have bored for and will pour ourselves.  Then comes the task of additions - several additions to turn the trailer into a real living space.  I've been delayed in setting it due to our 14th grandbaby being born a week early and her mother(our daughter) having to return to the hospital twice since for blood pressure issues.  We've kept the older 2 siblings(6yo & 4yo) during the hospital stays.

I have been setting up my "radio shack" at home and have a dreadful fear of heights so I have to wait for my roofer son to help with my antenna.  The building we're in is a 5-story walk-up.  Total building height is over 60 feet.  Toss into this part of the mix my trying to relearn morse code well enough to send it.  LOL  what a joke.

Did I mention that after nearly 10 days of running around, jumping through hoops for the "Celebrate America" event, it was a non-starter, a zero go.  We had a day and a half of rain then a half day of near gale winds.  I called it off before the Fire Dept. pulled my charcoal grill permit for no burning.

Last Sunday morning I also did something not many people do:  I opened the doors to Safe Haven Baptist Church in the lunchroom of the building we also work in.  Yes, that means we started a church.  This means preparations for 2 Sunday services and one during the week.

Tomorrow the cycle will begin anew.  A morning and an evening service.  Come Monday getting my wife situated for spending the week away, then I move straight to getting this trailer relocated and setting up the hand pump on the well so we can mix concrete for the pillars.  

So, why did I put all this down?  Because today I needed to clean the blackboard. It's gotten kinda crowded and dusty and hard to decipher.

And if you're reading everything needful, trying to stay on top of whatever preparations you're making for the soon to come free exchange of ideas all while living your life, your blackboard needs to be cleaned too.  You need to pull the plug - if even for a few hours - and just put it all aside and relax.  But you can't do that you say...???  You'd better do it now while there's still a few hours available.  Once tshtf no one will get any time off. 

One last thought: in the Gospel of Mark, 6:31 Christ gave His disciples this advice:  "And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat."  BTW, He took His own advice:
Matthew 14:23  "And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone."

Prepping Preacher




1 comment:

  1. Good advice! (Though, usually easier said than done)

    ReplyDelete

Please Speak Your Mind